Privacy Notice for The University of Manchester Division of Development and Alumni Relations Hubbub Website
The University of Manchester ("We") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy (together with our Terms and Conditions and any other documents referred to in them) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us or on our behalf. Certain definitions set out in our Terms and Conditions also apply in this policy. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it. By visiting https://manchester.hubbub.net/ (also referred to as https://manchester.ac.uk/crowdfunding) you are accepting and agreeing to the practices described in this policy.
Personal information submitted as part of your use of this service will be processed by The University of Manchester's Division of Development and Alumni Relations (DDAR). Please note that these terms are applicable in conjunction with the Division of Development and Alumni Relations (“DDAR”) Privacy Notice: https://your.manchester.ac.uk/privacy/ The DDAR Privacy Notice outlines how the DDAR processes personal information received from platforms such as Hubbub as well as other sources for purposes other than those outlined here.
For the purposes of the UK Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Data Controller is The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL and the Data Processor is Sponsorcraft Ltd, 35-39 Old Street, London EC1V 9HX. Hubbub is a trading name for Sponsorcraft Ltd. The University of Manchester’s Division of Development and Alumni Relations and Sponsorcraft Ltd (Hubbub) will hold and process your data securely in line with the all relevant UK laws related to the storing of personal information. Your personal information will be treated confidentially and handled with the utmost care and respect, and We will never sell, trade or give-away data.
The data that we collect from you for processing as part of your use of the Hubbub platform is stored in Dublin, Ireland, hosted by Amazon Web Services (AWS), in line with the EU-approved AWS Data Protection Agreement and Model Clauses.
Information we may collect from you when you use this service
Information you give us.
You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site https://manchester.hubbub.net/ (the Site) or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use the Site, participate in discussions on the Site, use the Site's social media functions, pledge sponsorship monies to a Project, register a Project, and when you report a user, Project or a problem with the Site. The information you give us may include your name, address, phone number, email address, social media information, pledge information, phone number, personal description, your Gift Aid choices and photograph or avatar. If you wish to alter or remove any of the information you have given us on this site, you can do so by logging into your account and updating your profile as appropriate. If you wish to alter or remove any information held on you by the DDAR more broadly please see the ‘Your rights’ section of the DDAR Privacy Notice for information on how to do so.
Information we collect about you when you use this service. With regard to each of your visits to the Site we may automatically collect the following information: technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the Site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our user service number. We also track the number of clicks and donations that individuals generate, even if they don’t donate themselves.
Information we receive from other sources.
We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites We operate or the other services We provide as outlined in the DDAR Privacy Notice. We also work closely with third parties (for example, contractually bound third party service providers) and may receive information about you from them subject to the third parties’ own privacy frameworks, the existence of a business need which has been balanced against the rights and freedoms of data subjects, and an appropriate legal basis for processing the personal information.
Your financial information.
Uses made of information.
Information you give to us when you use this service. We will use information provided when you use the Hubbub service:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information and services that you request from us;
- to notify you about changes to our services;
- to ensure that content from the Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
These uses are in addition to the ways We may use personal information outlined in the DDAR Privacy Notice.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer the Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve the Site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, including (but not limited to) registering to use the Site, posting a Project on the Site, sending messages to other users of the Site, sponsoring a Project, and using social media tools, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep the Site safe and secure.
These uses are in addition to the ways outlined in the DDAR Privacy Notice Creator, Supporter and Helper interactions
- As part of this service entails Sponsors supporting Projects defined by Creators, Creators have the ability to see Sponsor names, gift amounts, payment method (i.e. Stripe or offline), payment status (i.e. whether the Stripe payment was successful or not) and Gift Aid status. Creators also have the ability to message Sponsors of their project to provide updates on its progress and this functionality is governed by the Site’s Terms and Conditions. In this respect, the Hubbub platform acts as a messaging forwarding service. Please note, however, that whilst the University provides guidance to Creators in this respect and they have to consent to an agreement to use Supporter and Helper data fairly and appropriately prior to setting up a project, it has neither control over nor liability for the content of Creator messages. If you do not wish to hear from Creators, you must not use the site. You can adjust how you hear from Creators by visiting the ‘Notifications’ page of your user profile.
- If you register as a Helper for a project, please note that the Creator will be able to see your personal information as part of this registration. If you do not wish for a Creator see this personal information, you must not register as a Helper.
- If you support a project which requires particular and specific recognition or Reward (e.g. for the Creator to send you something in the post) it may be necessary for the Creator to see your personal information to enable this obligation to be fulfilled if the project is successful. If you do not wish for a Creator to see your personal information in this way, you must not select an option of support that requires particular and specific recognition (note that any amount can be donated without recognition). Please note that whilst The University of Manchester provides stringent rules to Creators on how personal information they may see is to be used and which Creators must consent to in order to use the service The University of Manchester is unable to accept liability if a Creator breaks these rules once they have access to personal information. If you have any reservations about this, you should not select an option of support that requires particular and specific recognition (note that any amount can be donated without recognition). We generally expect this to be within one calendar month of the completion of projects, but this will be reviewed on a case by case basis. If the date is not going to be met for whatever reason, Creators are asked to contact Sponsors to tell them why and when the new expected fulfilment date will be
As a user of the Site you can adjust your communications preferences for the Hubbub platform via the ‘Notification Settings’ area of your User Profile. You can choose to unsubscribe to all "Project" emails, all "Site" emails or both. Unchecking "Send me updates for projects I've sponsored or followed", unsubscribes the user from any emails triggered by a "project" event. Unchecking "Send me updates about X and other interesting projects", unsubscribes the user from any emails triggered by a "site" event. Please note that it you select either of these options it may still be necessary for you to receive emails from the site, for example in response to an action you have taken or because the site has a legal or administrative requirement to communicate with you in this way.
The University of Manchester alumni and supporter relations, and fundraising Hubbub is one aspect of the University’s alumni and supporter engagement and fundraising programmes. As such, the DDAR will also process information collected as part of users’ interactions with Hubbub to pursue its legitimate interest in:
- Communicating with students, staff, alumni, and current and potential supporters;
- Providing benefits and services to students, staff, alumni and supporters;
- Furthering the University’s educational charitable mission (which includes fundraising and securing the support of volunteers);
- Enabling the University to achieve its strategic and operational goals.
The DDAR’s legal bases for processing personal information are outlined in our Legal Bases Assessment. Further information on the information we collect and how we use it is contained in the full DDAR Privacy Notice, which forms part of this Hubbub Privacy Notice. You can update your contact preferences or tell us you no longer wish to hear from the DDAR at any time by contacting us via email@example.com or on or +44 (0)161 306 3066.
Your use of information
Users of the Site agree not to abuse Creators' personal information. For these purposes, abuse is defined as the use of personal information for any purpose other than those specifically stated in the Creator's Project.
Users of the Site agree not to abuse Sponsors' or Helpers’ personal information. For these purposes, abuse is defined as using personal information for any purpose other than to contact Sponsors or Helpers directly with regard to the Creator's project. Please note that whilst We do all We can to prevent abuse and will take all action possible if it is reported to us, if you make personal information available on the platform (as outlined in ‘Creator, Supporter and Helper interactions’, above) then We ultimately have no control over the choices of recipients of personal information make and therefore no liability in this respect. If you have any concerns about how your personal information might be used by Supporters, Helpers or Creators then you should not use the platform.
Disclosure of your information
We may share information you provide as part of your use of this service with contractually bound third party data processor service providers including suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract We enter into with you, including Sponsorcraft Limited, which operates the Site and processes your information on our behalf. The DDAR will never sell your data to or trade it with any third parties.
Where we store your personal data
As data controller, The University of Manchester will hold your data securely under the terms of all applicable data protection legislation and it will be treated confidentially and with the utmost care and respect.
Where We have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
The Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from external websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Projects remain on Hubbub following completion. This is to help show the impact of projects and the donations that have supported them, and to encourage others to get involved and make a difference. If you are a Creator and wish for your Project to be deleted please contact us. Project information will be retained by the DDAR subject to its < ahref="https://your.manchester.ac.uk/privacy/">Privacy Notice, which also outlines its full data retention policy. If you wish to terminate your Hubbub account please see ‘Termination’ in the Terms and Conditions
Access to information
UK data protection law gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Data Protection Act and GDPR. To find out how you can exercise this right please see the ‘Your rights’ section of the DDAR Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, would like to receive a copy of the information we hold about you or wish to make a complaint please contact us at:
Division of Development and Alumni Relations
The University of Manchester
+44 (0)161 306 3066
For wider enquiries about how the University manages information or if you do not receive a satisfactory response a complaint you make please contact:
The University Data Protection Officer
Information Governance Office
The University of Manchester
+44 (0)161 306 2473 or +44 (0)161 275 8111
If after raising your complaint with the University Data Protection Officer you feel your complaint or concern remains unaddressed you also have a right to raise your complaint about data protection, use of your personal information or our privacy practices with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). If the complaint is about fundraising or the behaviour of one of our fundraisers, you have a right to raise your complaint with the Fundraising Regulator.
From time to time, we may use your information for new purposes not currently described in this Privacy Notice. If our information practices or the appropriate legislation changes at some point in the future we will always post the policy changes on this page.
Last updated on: 3 December 2019